[OpenStack-docs] SUSE/openSUSE docs - Some current errors/omissions and changes to come?

Tony Su tonysu at su-networking.com
Mon Sep 21 16:47:21 UTC 2015

As I'm reading the SUSE/openSUSE docs deeply in preparation for a
build from scratch, I'm noticing some things...

- I understand why all system commands are SystemV so is targeted
primarily at SLES SP3.. I can personally guess and substitute systemd
commands but docs should be updated.

- I see a recommendation to do a "zypper distro-upgrade" after
installing OpenStack packages. I'm sure this is incorrect and instead
be a normal update with "zypper up". The terminology is typically
different in other distros which could have been how this error
happened.

It looks like these docs were created about 1.5 yrs ago because
openSUSE 13.1 is referenced. Today, we are days away from launching
openSUSE LEAP 14.1 which is the first melding SUSE core components
with openSUSE "non-core" packages. This may be one of those rare
instances where a whole new evaluation of what is SUSE and what is
openSUSE may become necessary when describing commands and procedures
to modify the system.

Is there an active way to contribute modifications?
When I actually start building my demo system, it might be nice to
create the contributions as I encounter their situations.

So, for instance if the text has been mirrored in a GitHub account,
that could work.

Thx,
Tony