[OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] Meeting notes 8 September 2015

Karin Levenstein karin.levenstein at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Sep 10 15:59:20 UTC 2015

Attendees: Lana Brindley, Darren Chan, Matt Kassawara, Karin Levenstein, Brian Moss, Joe Robinson

Testing the converted guide
===
Matt tested core services on Ubuntu and things are working, and if that's any indication, hopefully we didn't break too much content.
Brian has gotten started on it, and Christian Berendt updated via email that he's available to test Fedora as well
The idea is that testing the RST with the Kilo material should make Liberty testing a little easier (we won't be troubleshooting RST at the same time as testing the new release)
We should get Fedora tested soon, to expedite the architecture patch discussed below - Brian will give it a shot.
Wiki page: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/KiloDocTesting-RST

Any news on Liberty?
===
Ubuntu has packages somewhere between Liberty 1 and 2 out; untried as of yet
Nothing for Fedora yet
Liberty testing will take priority when packages are released

Simplifying networking in the install guide
===
Matt has been working on revamping networking information in the install guide - work in progress.
His local build of a draft is here: http://apps1-dfw.osdt.ionosphere80.com/install-guide-rst-ubuntu/overview.html
Proposed: a simplification of the architecture with two nodes
Will simplify setup - no more nova-net, no more three-node
HW requirements for provider networks and self-service networks are the same with this architecture
Some users want to attach VMs to public network - self-service adds components to the provider architecture to enable routing.
Simplified networking: http://apps1-dfw.osdt.ionosphere80.com/install-guide-rst-ubuntu/basics-networking.html
Not so much for production, but to provide a "happy path" for users to get started. Not as reductive as an AIO, but easier to get set up for new users.
More complex configurations are available in the networking guide.
Patch for these changes is now available: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/221560/

We will continue to have alternating meeting times through September. The September install guide meeting schedule is:
1 September - 1300 UTC
8 September - 2300 UTC
15 September - 1300 UTC
22 September - 2300 UTC