[OpenStack-docs] [training-guides] Status report

Pančur, Matjaž Matjaz.Pancur at fri.uni-lj.si
Fri Sep 4 10:15:22 UTC 2015

Hi all,

In the past month, a lot of changes happened in the Training guides project. Some of them were already announced in the "What’s Up Doc?” newsletter, some on the team’s weekly IRC meeting and on the docs-core ML, others are still in the "announcement queue”. I think it’s good to try to collect them all in one place. Sorry for the long post...

- Training guides Labs are now a separate project, with a separate repo and they will continue as a Speciality team under Docs.
- Because of his work commitments and schedule overlapping, Sean Roberts stepped down as a Training guide’s lead. Matjaz Pancur (IRC:matjazp) took over the project as his replacement. Sean is continuing to work in the user groups, run upstream training sessions and he will continue to contribute to the project in that way. Sean, thanks again for your effort!
- The Icehouse branch of the old Training guides material was deprecated and archived
- Training guides was “incubated under the Docs project” as it was started before the Big tent and Speciality teams were announced. Given the current status of the project, we decided that it is currently the best option for us to continue our work as a Speciality team under the Docs umbrella and postpone the graduation plans.

=New scope=

- on our last IRC meeting, we decided to narrow our priorities and focus on two things: (1) Upstream training and  (2) Training slides. We will add other subprojects at later stages.

=Upstream Training=

- Upstream training is currently published as a draft at http://docs.openstack.org/draft/upstream-training
- With Tim Freund, Tokyo’s Upstream training lead,  we’re in the process of updating the material for Mitaka. Tim will also work with his trainers to add more bugs and incorporate feedback from the last Summit.
- We adopted continuos publishing model, with using bugs to update and publish it as we go. The new bug queue is already waiting for you to dive in and contribute (hint hint ;)
- Generally speaking, the material was used at the last two Summits and we feel it’s already good enough to start the process of publishing it on the official docs index.

=Training slides=

- current focus is on the basic slides for beginners, other topics will come later
- we intend to start with the “core” topics (networking is already done, but needs some cleaning)
- we will first publish these as a draft (like it is now for Upstream training)

=Bug queue=

- I cleaned up the project's old bug queue (it went from 59 to 6). A lot of bugs in our queue were obsolete (as they were for Icehouse version and it is no longer published). Quite a few bugs were in status Fix committed and as the patch was already in the master branch, I changed the status to Fix released (so that they don’t show in the bug queue anymore).
- it now contains only new, current bugs (hint for new contributors!) and it will expand as we use it as pointers to add new content
- Tim will also submit some simple low-hanging-fruit bugs to use for students at the Tokyo’s Upstream training

We already have a couple of new contributors, the community is expanding and I’m very excited about project’s future prospects. You are all warmly welcome to participate!

Regards,
Matjaz