[OpenStack-docs] Docs Cross-project Session

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Wed Oct 28 02:58:53 UTC 2015

On 28 Oct 2015, at 12:43 pm, Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Wanted to send a note about yesterday's cross-project session for documentation. We had a wide variety of attendees and discussions, exactly what I'd hope for in a cross-project session!

It was a great session, thanks to everyone who came. And thanks Anne for writing this up!

> Here's the Etherpad [1], and I also wanted to summarize some of the topics for anyone who wasn't there.
>
> The Admin in the admin guides can be confusing, but Brian Moss and Darren Chan can upload the task analysis they did to a place where we all can learn from it. The spec [2] that Joe Robinson wrote is up for review now and they got feedback they can incorporate into the spec.

Hallway talk this morning turned to this topic, and the idea of perhaps when we rearrange these guides in Mitaka we consider a task-based approach rather than a role-based approach. We’ll discuss this more in the IA and User Guide working sessions on Thursday, so don’t miss those if you’re interested in this topic.

> What about the networking guide, how would you like us to work?
> Become a specialty team, and you can attend the weekly docs team meeting rather than adding another weekly meeting. We have each specialty team on the agenda each week. Also, you can get your own repository, splitting out from openstack-manuals, if you like. Edgar would like this split so that's an action item from the meeting.

We have an action item to review this in Austin, and determine whether or not we should move the Networking Guide to its own repo.

> What about newer teams like Barbican, how can they work with the docs team?
> Get a doc liaison and attend the weekly doc team meetings, also ask on IRC and the mailing list. Similar to what ceilometer did.
>
> Packaging, packagers, how can they help and get help?
> RDO representatives there, to describe a way to work together and improve the timing. Great to have people there! Interface and communicate with the Install Guide specialty team through IRC, meetings, and the mailing list.

Thanks again to the RDO representatives in the room, it was great to be able to talk this through, and I’m confident we have a better plan for Mitaka.

> Onboarding
> We have a great one-pager in the Superuser Magazine on site at the Summit. We should try to incorporate it into the contributor's guide and probably incorporate Windows instructions as well.
>
> That's it for the cross-project session report. Please feel free to ask any questions, and I'll try to keep updating on this list for anyone who's not at the Summit in person. Photos so far if you're interested. :) [3]

Thanks Anne!

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia