[OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] Cinder service and endpoint: v1 or v2? [was: status of Debian]

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Oct 13 16:05:58 UTC 2015

On 10/13/2015 04:57 PM, Matt Kassawara wrote:
> Without straying too far off-topic, the v1/v2 issues with cinder cause
> major headaches for the installation guide primarily because we can't
> get a consistent answer from the developers regarding the appropriate
> service entities and API endpoints.

IMO, don't trust what they say, and try by yourself.

> Furthermore, the gates often contain
> defunct configuration.

The gate tests things with pip, it's not a packaged environment, and
therefore, shouldn't be considered the holy truth either.

> For Kilo, I spent probably too much time finding
> a magic combination that worked for the conventional cinder client,
> OpenStack client, and nova. I found one... two service entities,
> cinder/volume and cinderv2/volumev2 with API endpoints that all contain
> /v2.

Well, I tried that with Liberty, and it didn't work. I was very
surprised to read that the install-guide for Kilo recommends setting-up
a /v2 URL for the v1 API (it really doesn't make sense...). From my
experience, this is broken. What needs to be done is:
- name:cinder type:volume url:/v1/%(tenant_id)s
- name:cinderv2 type:volumev2 url:/v2/%(tenant_id)s

I'm not entirely sure for Kilo, but for Liberty, I'm positive that this
is what should be done. With any other type of setup, there's some
tempest failures on my CI.

> As with every release, I attempted to determine the recommendations
> for Liberty which seem to involve removing the cinder/volume service
> entity and endpoints that contain /v1.

Nope. I had functional test failures with that...

> The recommendations work for what
> the installation guide needs to accomplish. However, they break the
> OpenStack client. Frankly, the only real solution to these perpetual
> problems involves cinder (including services that use it) and clients
> supporting one cinder/volume service entity and endpoints without a
> specific version in them.

What needs to happen is cinder-api v2 to support all what's in v1. But
as of Liberty rc2, we're not there yet, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)