[OpenStack-docs] Style Question for Project Names

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat May 30 20:21:48 UTC 2015

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 2:39 PM, APlimpton <aplimpton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like HAProxy and other pieces that are sold separately or
> trademarked should follow their own standard for capitalization (per IBM
> style guide again).

I was going to note the same about HAProxy -- it's a proper name with
associated capitalization rules. Same as your other examples, Meg.

> Thanks for the support, Meg :) Funny enough I thought this was going to be
> more of a case where most everyone had shifted to using the initial
> uppercase and the Conventions page just hadn't been updated to reflect it.
> Sorry to be putting a ripple in the pond.

Not at all, and please don't take any of this as a personal affront or
anything. I'm glad you're looking around and questioning. We love yours and
Meg's fresh eyes!

> Given that it goes against general usage and most style guides, it would
> beneficial to know why the proper noun is being lowercased. I get the need
> to avoid making Everything Look Important, and wholeheartedly agree, but
> this is specifically for one small set of names. OpenStack gets two
> capitalizations, the projects functional names and all the releases have a
> initial one. We clearly didn't disapprove of them in general, so why here?

It's tangled up in the lack of clarity around trademark use for a couple of
years. Now that there's more rigor around the use of the OpenStack
trademark, how about you take a look at why you think project names should
be capitalized and post here.
http://www.openstack.org/brand/openstack-trademark-policy/
and
http://www.openstack.org/brand/

When I read through those, I still come up with the conventions we have in
place. Here are my reasons pro lowercase:

- The team/project names like nova, swift, etc. names are never going to be
trademarked so no extra import should be imparted by using the
capitalize-for-proper-name convention.
- We don't pursue legal reasoning in trademarking the name, but do try to
find a unique name that's unused in the software industry. It's not a
proper name.
- We have gotten cease and desist for the use of quantum for example, and
by lowercasing we may be less likely to be in violation of some corner/edge
legal name case.
- The file name such as nova.conf actually has to be lowercase in
Linux-based operating systems.
- The nova-<name> service or daemon names also have to be lowercase in
Linux-based operating systems.
- The nova, swift Command Line Interface (CLI) tools also have to be run in
lowercase  in Linux-based operating systems.
- The lower case always as a rule rather than exception helps simplify
editing and guidance.

> Side note: Since we have a rule for sentence capitalization for headings,
> would it be okay for me to add that to the Conventions page? I don't see
> any mention of it.

It's here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Markup_conventions#Headings
and here: