[OpenStack-docs] NooB Windows 7 question

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sun May 24 21:16:37 UTC 2015

Hi Randy,
So, I have Windows 8.1 Pro at home and followed all these steps to set up
git and git bash:

http://guides.beanstalkapp.com/version-control/git-on-windows.html

I open an Explorer window, browse to the openstack-manuals folder, and use
the "Git Bash Here" when I need a PowerShell prompt. (Screenshots attached.)

I can run tox -e py27. Running some of the check tests isn't working,
checkniceness works but checksyntax does not, due to an Invocation Error
that I am not sure how to debug. I think it can't use the find command or
some such.

It stalled for a lonnnng time on the tox -e docs command, and then says "%1
is not a valid Win32 application," so I'm not sure if that's just the story
on my circa-2013 computer or what. It's running the
tools/build-user-guides.sh file and that's not written for Windows.

Does that give you more ideas for testing more? Let me know if you get
unstuck. We have tried and tried to get Windows machines onboarded with
little success but it would be nice to get a working environment
documented. It's a lot of effort to get cross-platform tested and working
so feel free to post suggestions.
Anne