[OpenStack-docs] Anchor tag conventions

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri May 15 06:19:12 UTC 2015

On 05/15/2015 01:05 AM, Meg McRoberts wrote:
> So it's okay to use hyphens rather than underscores in file names?  The
> last line of "Source File Names" in
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Structure
>   says "Continue to use underbar as the space delimiter."  May I modify
> the spec?  And then I will rename the
> ha-guide files before they get merged.

Please write down again what you propose and then let's change the file...

> I guess it is just me who thought that each file should have a
> label/anchor for the top-level heading.  Andreas said that
> we can use "doc" to reference these docs instead.  My problem is that I
> have never been able to figure out what
> to use as the file name for :doc: -- the Sphinx documentation doesn't
> make sense to me.

The openstack-manuals RST files like the user-guide use :doc: already,
have a look a the repo.

> Is there a reason we are using the term "anchor" instead of the term
> "label" that the Sphinx/RST docs use?
>
> And do we need conventions for the content of labels/anchors?  The
> ha-guide is in its own repo so I don't anticipate
> any problems but it might be good to have some sort of convention since
> a label/anchor must be unique for the entire
> set -- I can see the potential for conflicts on terms like install,
> troubleshoot, et cetera...

Our conventions apply to all repos to make reviewing and appearance
consistent.

Labels are unique within a single manual, so that should be fine in general.

I don't know whether we need a convention on format of it. Feel free to
propose something,

Andreas