[OpenStack-docs] How to alienate contributors and tick off people

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Feb 20 20:34:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
> On 02/20/2015 07:50 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2015-02-20 12:52:40 -0500 (-0500), Nick Chase wrote:
>> [...]
>>> To solve this problem, I would like to suggest that rather than
>>> -1'ing the patch, these patches be approved with an understanding
>>> that a separate bug will be filed to "clean up" the content.
>> [...]
>>
>> What I tend to do (for Infra patches, so YMMV) is if the patch is
>> fine other than a few cosmetic nits, I upload the corrections I
>> would like to see and then +2 my update. If there was already an
>> existing +2 on the change then I also approve when I do that and
>> just leave a comment that I made cosmetic improvements and was
>> basing approval on another core reviewer's +2 from the prior
>> patchset. This both short-circuits the delays from back-and-forth
>> over mostly inconsequential polish, while also placing the burden on
>> _me_ as a reviewer to solve the problems I have with the patch that
>> perhaps another core reviewer wasn't quite so deterred by.
>

> Indeed that's a nice way of doing it - this avoids accumlation of
> technical debt,
>
> Andreas

As a (sloppy) occasional technical contributor I must say I appreciate
when reviewers push patches for my bad spacing and
and repeated words (as Anne and Gauvain both did on my most recent submission)

Though I do understand push back to fix larger standards
transgressions, for example some while ago I had a larger section I
submitted with lots of examples where the spacing the the <screen>
sections were all wrong so pointing out the error in the first one and
saying "please check and fix the others" was completely appropriate.

I tend to agree with Andreas that merging the change and oepning
another bug for style/syntax is likely to accumulate debt, unless we
get an influx of pre-summit people looking for cheap commits to get
ATC  badges.  For my part I tend to scan bugs when I have time
(infrequently) for things that I have technical experience in actually
doing, grammar isn't going to catch my interest.  Though don't know
how common my contribution pattern is.

-Jon