[OpenStack-docs] Improving OpenStack documentation around RabbitMQ

Christian Berendt christian at berendt.io
Tue Apr 28 14:01:42 UTC 2015

On 04/28/2015 02:59 PM, Michael Klishin wrote:
> I'm a RabbitMQ engineering team member and we'd like to help improve OpenStack docs
> around it.

Welcome :)

> I've been reading the docs and making notes of what can be improved. We'd be happy
> to contribute the changes. However, we're not very familiar with the OpenStack development
> process and have a few questions before we start.

The entry point for documentation is
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo. We will discuss in
Vancouver on the summit how to improve the experience for newcomers to
the documentation.

> As far as I understand, OpenStack Kilo is about to ship. Does this mean we can only contribute
> documentation improvements for the release after it? Are there maintenance releases that doc improvements
> could go into? If so, how is this reflected in repository  branches?

In a few days there will be a stable/kilo branch. It is possible to
backport changes from the current state of the repository to the stable
branches. We do not have to wait for the regular maintaince release to
publish changes there.

> Should the changes we propose be discussed on this list or in GitHub issues [1]?

On this list or on launchpad. We do not use the Github issues.

https://launchpad.net/openstack-manuals

> Finally, we are considering adding a doc guide dedicated to OpenStack on rabbitmq.com (we have one for EC2,
> for instance). Note that we are not looking
> to replace what's on docs.openstack.org, only provide a guide that can go into more details.
> Does this sound like a good idea to the OpenStack community? Should we keep everything on docs.openstack.org?
> Would it be OK if we link to rabbitmq.com guides in any changes we contribute? I don't think OpenStack Juno
> docs have a lot of external links: is that by design?

I think it depends. It would be nice to have a working minimal guide for
RabbitMQ inside the OpenStack documentation (as used at the moment in
the installation guides).

Do you mean this EC2 guide: http://www.rabbitmq.com/ec2.html ? I think
such guides should be directly published on rabbitmq.com. I can assist
while writing a guide for OpenStack.

Christian.

--
Christian Berendt