[OpenStack-docs] When to change a bug from fix-committed to fix-released?

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Apr 23 23:54:47 UTC 2015

On 23/04/15 23:18, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 5:49 AM, Christian Berendt <christian at berendt.io
> <mailto:christian at berendt.io>> wrote:
>
>     Having a look at the bug reports I want to clarify the usage of the
>     following statuses:
>
>     fix-committed and fix-released
>
>     I changed the status of
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1311067 to
>     fix-committed. It is a change in the config-reference. Is it correct
>     to change the status directly from fix-committed to fix-released?
>

> I'm looking at the bug and this:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#Doc_Bug_Triaging_Guidelines
>
> Basically, since the last patch was "Partial-bug" I think the automation
> sets it to In Progress. I don't think it should be set to "fix-released"
> if a partial fix doesn't fix it all the way. Something between the
> automation and partial didn't work right I think. Plus, the security doc
> people want to work on it in their guide. So I think the Partial-bug in
> the commit message was correct, and the bug should be set back to
> "Confirmed."
>
> Does that make sense? Not sure how to capture that scenario on our wiki
> page, but it matches what's documented.
> Anne

 From my end: basically, docs doesn't use the fix-committed status.

This is because we don't have any intermediate release management step
like the code projects - you solve a bug (fully - not partial as in this
case), and it's done. Fix committed is a handy state for "there's
something that someone needs to do to release this", but since we
basically publish fixes immediately, it's not needed.

You could argue that a bug fixed in a guide-in-progress that is not yet
published (eg networking?) should set status to Fix-committed until the
entire guide is published ... but does anyone really want to go and
change the status of a ton of bugs when that happens? :)

For this Partial-Bug case, as Anne says, I think setting back to
Confirmed is the way to go.

Regards,

Tom