[OpenStack-docs] Next steps to publish the User Guides?

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat Apr 4 18:29:34 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> Draft version of the new RST based guides are available at:
> http://docs.openstack.org/draft/user-guide-admin/
> http://docs.openstack.org/draft/user-guide/
>
> Those get updated after each build.
>
> Reminder of our tracking page on what still needs to be done:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#
> Publishing_User_Guides
>
> Especially review of the content is needed now! And if you find errors or
> missing content, please send a change - or tell us...

I did an audit yesterday and found these missing files, two of which I have
patches for.

Upload and manage images (dashboard, end user guide)
https://review.openstack.org/170593
Launch and manage instances (dashboard, end user guide)
https://review.openstack.org/170617

Still needed (or not included in an index/toc yet):
Store metadata on a configuration drive (cli, end user guide)
Get help for client commands (cli, common)

I also audited the TOCs side-by-side and found some inclusion and
arrangement issues that I can fix:
Create and manage images is in the Admin User Guide TOC but wasn't
originally
Admin guide cli index needs reordering
End user guide has "View and manage quotas" but shouldn't
End user guide has "Analyze log files" but shouldn't

I'll patch the TOCs Monday unless someone beats me to it -- really though,
we're in good shape thanks to Andreas's mega efforts! We should meet the
feature freeze date.

I can't get the "Log a doc bug" to work as it used to, but at this point
we'll release as-is and iterate on the theme itself. Need to get wider
testing across browsers so if you can just open it up on Windows Chrome or
Firefox, and log bugs if you see them, that would be appreciated!

> There're also a few changes pending for the guides, please review them.
>
> I suggest we freeze the XML content now and only accept changes for RST,
>
> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
>        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com