[Openstack-docs] Getting started

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Fri Sep 26 08:27:43 UTC 2014

On 26/09/14 15:54, Bas Peters wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>

> I’m new to the mailing list (and Openstack in general) and would like to
> start contributing now that I have some more time on my hands. Problem
> is I just rolled out of college and have never seriously contributed to
> an open source project. What’s the best way for me to get started? I saw
> an e-mail come by about install-guide testing and logging bugs against
> any errors I might find. I was wondering if there’s some coordinating
> mechanism in place so I can see what distribution I could best focus on?
>

> With kind regards,
>

> Bas

Hi Bas,

Great to have you!

Indeed you're right - we're going to cut the next release of OpenStack
(Juno) on October 16th, and before then we want to test the installation
as much as possible.

If you've never installed OpenStack before, you're perfect for the job
and also, more generally looking through any OpenStack docs and just
lodging tonnes of bugs with anything that doesn't make sense or is
difficult to find.

There's three main mechanisms for coordination
1) this mailing list
2) the weekly documentation team IRC meeting
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting
3) the matrix at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/JunoDocTesting#Install_Guide

To participate in the install guide testing, you just need a couple of
machines (real or virtual), and you can follow your favourite install
guide at http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/ and update the matrix/lodge
bugs as appropriate.

We're here to help (and we need yours!), feel free to post any questions
on the mailing list, or heading into #openstack-doc on the freenode IRC
network to chat.

Thanks for supporting OpenStack.

Regards,

Tom