[Openstack-docs] Discussion for bug #1340524

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Sep 4 19:37:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Matt Kassawara <mkassawara at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking at bug #1340524 [1] and trying to determine the best course of
> action.
>
> Similar to other chapters, the Networking chapter contains an
> introduction/concepts section. However, it references content local to the
> installation guide rather than content in the common directory. I could
> merge the local and common content, but the common content would contain
> much more information than other services and somewhat reference the
> specific configuration in the installation guide. The common content also
> doesn't cover nova-network if we decide to retain it for Juno.

Specific to that bug, Marco is looking for a list of services and daemons.
I think he wrote a list for nova (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1160757) that looks like
a fairly easy bug to fix as long as we agree on where -- which is what
you're asking here, right?

He would like something similar for CLIs:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1238668

So ideally we'd provide complete per-project information modularly and
insert it into each book as needed. I think that people like Marco want the
big picture put into logical pieces.

Common content is only common when it's needed in two places. I think the
nova section should cover nova-network, and then add a neutron listing. Is
that helpful?

Anne