[Openstack-docs] Clearly marking trunk/ as the unstable version

Gauvain Pocentek gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com
Sun Jun 22 05:20:33 UTC 2014

Le 2014-06-22 07:10, Roger Luethi a écrit :
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:44:21 -0500, Anne Gentle wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Gauvain Pocentek <
>> gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com> wrote:

>>> Could we imagine having a "hidden" build somewhere? It's nice to
>>> have the
>>> trunk available to check if bugs reported on icehouse have been
>>> fixed in
>>> the trunk.
>>>
>> I like this idea and have tried to have /trunk be unsearchable. If we
>> switch /icehouse to be /icehouse and /current and then create a /dev,
>> and
>> never point to /dev links, could it be hidden?
>
> How about blocking /trunk in robots.txt? Is that what you mean with
> "tried
> to have /trunk be unsearchable"? Did that not work?
>
> robots.txt should also take care of our "Custom Search" (which throws
> variety of releases at the poor user). Presumably, that's how most
> people
> end up reading trunk.

I don't know much about search engines, but I guess that having links
to a dev/ branch in bugs, or emails, would mean that the URL will still
discovered and visible in these engines. Or should a modified robots.txt
take care of that?

If we don't have a way to really hide trunk/, not publishing it at all
sounds like the best (only?) solution.

Gauvain