[Openstack-docs] Training Guides becoming a project in its own right?

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Jun 10 02:03:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2014-06-09 19:23:03 -0500 (-0500), Anne Gentle wrote:
> > For two releases, incubating projects remain on StackForge.
> > "Projects that have spent at least two development milestones in
> > incubation are reviewed" (from
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/NewProjects).
>
> That paragraph doesn't support your interpretation, based on my
> reading (and what I've seen us do so far). It looks to me like it
> says that the *incubation period* needs to last at least two
> *development milestones* before getting considered for integration
> (and note we have three development milestones per release cycle
> prior to release candidates being cut). And at any rate, what I was
> trying to point out is that usually as soon as the TC approves a
> program for incubation (not for *integration*) its projects are
> generally renamed into the openstack/.* Git repository namespace as
> soon as possible.

Ah yes, sorry I read it wrong. Thanks for further clarity.

> There is also no precedent I'm aware of for an official OpenStack
> program maintaining projects in StackForge (if they're governed by
> an official program they're under the OpenStack umbrella--otherwise
> they go in StackForge or find hosting elsewhere). About the closest
> thing to which I can map your current proposal of "official program
> incubating a project in StackForge" would be to have the training
> documentation spun out into a separate program which can request an
> incubation evaluation directly from the TC.

Is the training manuals example the first time a project has joined an
existing program?

We are not wanting a new program but to incubate a new project.

> > During that time period, typically projects are not on
> > docs.openstack.org, so I'm looking for a domain to indicate this
> > incubation state for the docs. It'd be great to use our definition
> > for incubating projects other than training. What might be a good
> > umbrella URL?
>
> It sounds like you're looking for a way to mark some documents as
> officially supported vs. incomplete work in progress.

Not so much this... we use /trunk/ for "incomplete work in progress"
currently.

I think I'm looking for a publishing indicator for "not official yet, but
working towards meeting documentation guidelines during incubation."

> I'm
> unconvinced that the project being in StackForge or not really
> makes any difference in that regard if it's still being published to
> an official site. If you want a separate publication namespace for
> them, a subdirectory is as good as anything I guess (though do most
> people even look at URLs in this day and age, or would theming
> differences make the distinction more readily apparent?). This still
> has no bearing on the Git repository namespace however.

Okay, we're getting close to what we're trying to indicate:
- is the document part of official OpenStack or not?
- is the document part of an integrated release or tracking with an
integrated release?
- is the source repo governed with known OpenStack review teams?

> > Agreed, I'll start a conversation with a proposal and get it on a
> > TC meeting agenda, please let me know some good naming
> > conventions. We have http://docs.openstack.org/incubation/ --
> > what else might work well for this purpose?
>
> That seems as good as anything to me... I'm not so much concerned
> about bikeshedding a particular subdirectory name as making sure we
> have clarity around whether StackForge projects really should be
> publishing documentation on docs.openstack.org (because up until now
> we've told them they have to use RTFD or other hosting not on
> official OpenStack documentation sites).

I agree with your overall concern. Definitely we want to build a durable
repeatable process we all agree to.

Apologies to Sean and others working on the training guides for the delay,
but we have to solve this for as many incubating projects as we can.