[Openstack-docs] Workflow for specs

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Jul 31 19:25:20 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 07/30/2014 09:43 PM, Gauvain Pocentek wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have to define a workflow to define and approve specs. Anne proposed
> > the following on the HOT spec:
> >
> > - approve the blueprint in Launchpad
> > - then ask only some for docs-specs
> > - then docs-specs is just used to ensure the approach and scope are what
> > we want
> >
> > Anne please correct me if I'm twisting your words :)
> >
> > My opinion is that we should create the Launchpad BP only after a patch
> > to docs-specs has been accepted. This would make sure that there's been
> > some thinking about how things can be done, and that we agree on the
> > choices.
>
> Do we have a reference what other projects are doing? I'd like to use
> the same workflow as much as possible.

Ah, yes, I looked this up yesterday.

Nova has a blueprint in Launchpad first, then marks it "Pending Approval"
for Design.

Then once the nova-specs patch is accepted, the Design is marked "Approved."

I think this makes sense to adopt for docs. Just a few caveats: nova has a
release manager and docs does not. So the responsibility falls on the PTL
to clickety-click in Launchpad so people know what will be delivered in a
given release.

I do think that we need to keep the component of very limited reasons to
have a blueprint and upfront design at all. For nearly everything, we need
writing more than designing the writing.

Anne