[Openstack-docs] installation guide and training guide relation

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Jul 1 05:22:01 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Frans Thamura <frans at meruvian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Sean Roberts <seanrob at yahoo-inc.com>
> wrote:
> > We use xi:include statements during the training guides build. The
> training materials are built with the install guides.
>
> hi sean
>
> can explain more about this?
>
> i still dont get xi:include relation between role based training guide
> vs step-by-stey based installation guide

Hi Frans -

With our current system we have the ability to directly include parts from
any other XML-based guide. That's what Sean means for xi:include, it's a
technical term for content reuse.

So what the training guides often do is pick pieces from a given guide and
put them together in the order they want.

Ideally, the training manual follows the installation guide exactly.

While your "keep adding nodes" suggestion is quite good, I don't see the
work to test and write step-by-step guides paying off... there would be
tradeoffs. For now, the direction we are taking with the install guides is
to document a few "happy paths" such as:

Compute with nova-network
Compute with OpenStack Networking (neutron)
Compute with additional block storage
Object Storage with Identity (no Dashboard)
Compute with Orchestration
Compute with Databases
Compute with Telemetry

Considering the wide breadth of installing all the OpenStack projects, I
think this is the course we have to continue to take.

We would like to continue to explain more architectures, but I don't
believe the installation guide is quite the right place to do this.
Instead, next week a group of authors are going to do a book sprint to
describe the many ways you can configure OpenStack to meet different use
cases.

Please follow the Design and Architecture sprint closely as I think it may
be a deliverable you'd like to have as a companion for training classes.