[Openstack-docs] Proposal: CLI Reference manual

Diane Fleming diane.fleming at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Jan 30 15:26:21 UTC 2014

Actually, I'm fine either way – keeping it as appendix or as separate book.

But either way, I think we need to improve the formatting – I'll open a bug for that.

What does everyone else think about keeping command ref as appendix, or moving to separate book?

Diane
Diane Fleming
Software Developer II - US
diane.fleming at rackspace.com
Cell  512.323.6799
Office 512.874.1260
Skype drfleming0227
Google-plus diane.fleming at gmail.com

From: Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org<mailto:anne at openstack.org>>
Date: Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:56 AM
To: Diane Fleming <diane.fleming at rackspace.com<mailto:diane.fleming at rackspace.com>>
Cc: Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com<mailto:aj at suse.com>>, "openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [Openstack-docs] Proposal: CLI Reference manual

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Diane Fleming <diane.fleming at rackspace.com<mailto:diane.fleming at rackspace.com>> wrote:
Andreas,

After looking at the new CLI reference, I'm okay with having it as a
separate book and removing the appendices from the End User Guide and
Admin User Guide.

However, I do think we could do more work to improve the formatting of the
Command Reference - I can suggest a format for the output. That will
involve more coding work, but I think it would be worth it.

However, for the time being, this is still a huge improvement, so I think
we should push through the current version.

The enhanced command reference is 200 pages, so it's probably best to
remove it from the user guides, and provide pointers from those guides to
the new Command Reference.

So I recommend:

1. Update Command Reference to use same ch_cli.xml file as End User Guide,
with conditions to omit unneeded content.
   Then, push through current version of Command Reference. One version
(trunk), and no release-centric versions.
2. Remove appendices from user guides, and include pointers to new Command
Reference. However, leave the ch_cli.xml as is in both those books.
   (Don't remove installation    instructions for CLIs.)
3. New bug to improve formatting in Command Reference.

I can be convinced of this too -- and it's pretty much what we discussed at the Hong Kong Summit. :) Thanks!
Anne

My two cents!

Diane
Diane Fleming