[Openstack-docs] Group info in autogenerated config reference

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Fri Jan 17 20:58:48 UTC 2014

I've been doing a lot of work on the autohelp.py script that generates
our reference tables of configuration options. One of the problems it
had was that it couldn't distinguish between options with the same name
in different groups. For example, these are both options in nova:

[spice]
enabled = False

[osapi_v3]
enabled = False

The old code would duplicate these, putting the reference for both of
them in both nova-spice.xml and nova-apiv3.xml. I've fixed that.

But the DocBook still doesn't specify the group, which is a pretty
important piece of information to have. I'm trying to think of a good
way to add it, and I'd like feedback. Currently we have:

We could do

That's a pretty good indication of how you'd actually write the config
file, but it makes the tables longer. We could do

That makes the tables wider, and/or gives less space to the help string.
Or we could write out separate tables for anything that's in a group
other than DEFAULT, and put the group name in the caption.

Thoughts?

--
Shaun