[Openstack-docs] Copyright statements in docs source files

Colin McNamara colin at 2cups.com
Tue Jan 14 18:02:51 UTC 2014

You make valid points, the one I agree with the strongest is that we need to remove barriers to code contribution.

You are correct that managing copyright through DVCS is possible, there are common operations (such as a copy of a file, and then adding it to your commit) that break the commit log chain of custody.

One thing to consider is that  both Corporations and Individuals have a legal need and right of retaining copyright to contributed code and also CLEARLY identifying code. The risk of removing copyright information from the file header is that anyone using that portion of code cannot clearly and easily identify the copyright holder (copyright is held whether it is noted or not). This puts both individuals and corporations at risk of copyright infringement litigation. Sadly, in the eyes of the law ignorance of infringement does not remove the risk of litigation.

To quote recommendations from GPL and Apache 2.0 licenses -

"Free Software Foundation in the GPL’s epilogue “How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs.”6 The FSF recommends placing the following information in each source file’s header: 1) one sentence naming and describing the program; 2) the copyright notice of the author(s); 3) a statement that the program is free software and naming the license(s) under which it is available; 4) a brief warranty disclaimer; and 5) a URL pointing to a full copy of the license. The Apache Software Foundation recommends a very similar notice for Apache-licensed projects.""
Regards,

Colin

Colin McNamara
People | Process | Technology