[Openstack-docs] docs.openstack.org and Google/SEO index pages

Kevin Jackson kevin at linuxservices.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 15:42:32 UTC 2014

Thanks Anne.
If I see anything that's not there I'll add to the above.

And no, the irony is not lost about me not searching launchpad first ;)

A CMS would prevent the broken page look, but you'd end up managing 40x
instead - though in that case you'd put your 40x page as something useful
like an index (and not have that indexed by Google etc).
If pages move - redirects are the only way.

In fact - why not remove those broken pages regardless - they will
eventually get removed from indexing.  For people that link to them - 404
page with a useful guide on akin to the docs.openstack.org/index.html.

Kev

On 25 February 2014 15:31, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> We are tracking these types of issues with this bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1191447
>
> The comments contain some of the things we've done so far.
>
> Our redirects are contained in the openstack-manuals/www/.htaccess file,
> so if you see a specific page that should redirect to another specific
> page, please note it in the bug above.
>
> I still have a nagging feeling that we need to replace the Google CSE with
> the one the Foundation is using for www.openstack.org, and am chasing
> that as well.
>
> I suppose the final solution would be a CMS rather than our current file
> copy situation, as it leaves old files behind and we need to automate a
> solution to scrape outdated files. We've discussed ideas and welcome
> solutions.
>
> Anne
>

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Kevin Jackson <kevin at linuxservices.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> Hey folks,
>> I tend to fire up Google when doing my OpenStack help searching like a
>> lot of folk I'd imagine (and docs.openstack.org does use Google Custom
>> Search). The problem is that a lot of the hits seem to bring back lots of
>> indexed broken pages or pages that are broken. Are there plans to fix this
>> so that people land on the correct pages?
>>
>> e.g. this came up with the content I needed just now (and lots of other
>> examples), but it's not the right one I was expecting based on the broked
>> page:
>>

>> http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content//advanced_vm_creation.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kev