[Openstack-docs] I would like help the Openstack community

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Aug 21 15:19:27 UTC 2014

Hi Oscar,
We'd be happy to have you review documentation or write more tests for
Tempest. Here's some information on how you review documentation patches.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask on the openstack-docs
mailing list which I've copied and you can subscribe at
http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-docs. We're
also on IRC at #openstack-doc.

For Tempest tests, read http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/ and
get in touch with Matthew Trenish, CCed here.

To see what documentation changes are ready for review, use the
Documentation Program Dashboard, a custom URL rendered at
http://is.gd/openstackdocsreview. This dashboard is organized in groupings
based on the audience for the documentation.
Who can review documentation?

All community members can review doc patches and give them +1 or -1.
Documentation Core members can give +2 or -2 votes and also click Approve
so that the doc goes live, published to docs.openstack.org or
developer.openstack.org, based on the branch the patch is applied to. Docs
core members should only click Approve if they've given a +2, otherwise the
Jenkins build jobs are not triggered.

Because the Docs team is small, core members have the choice when reviewing
and must use best judgment before publishing. Generally speaking, core
members will wait for one other core member to +2 a doc patch. However if
the change is small and the build works, a doc core member can +2 and
Approve a change without waiting for another reviewer. This is a judgement
call so docs core people should exercise caution when using this option.

Once two community members approve a doc patch, a doc core member can also
review it and push it through without waiting for a second core member.
Repositories and core team

The OpenStack Docs team is core for api-site, openstack-manuals,
operations-guide and openstack-doc-tools.

For the following repositories that are part of the Documentation program
special rules apply:

   - training-guides: Has a separate core team.
   - security-doc: Has a separate core team consisting of docs team members
   and security team members. The rule here is that each patch needs an
   approval by a Docs core and a security team core.
   - api projects: Here both the OpenStack project core and the Docs core
   are cores, for example for image-api the keystone cores are cores as well.
   - docs-specs: Has a separate core team, see docs-specs section
   <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#When_to_write_a_blueprint_description_in_docs-specs>

How to Review a Documentation Patch

   1. Click a patch set.
   2. Click a file that has changed to view the changes side by side.
   3. Click on the Jenkins gate that is called "checkbuild" (for the
   manuals it is "gate-openstack-manuals-tox-doc-publish-checkbuild") and
   review the built manuals to see how the change will look on the web page
   and as PDF.
   4. Click the Review button and vote, then enter any comments about your
   review.