[Openstack-docs] New blueprint: Reorganize gating-setup

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Aug 11 15:16:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 2:44 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2014 09:36 AM, Tom Fifield wrote:

> >> It would be
> >> voting: PASS
> >> non-voting: PASS
> >> check-build: PASS
> >> check-lang: PASS
> >>
> >> And then you need to click on the link for details - like you do today -
> >> but also to read out which check failed,
> >
> > Ok, if that's the case, my preference would be to leave it as it is -
> > with each check giving its own explicit pass/fail.
> >
> > Aside from my personal preference, I believe explicitly separating the
> > tests is more friendly for new users.
>
> Let me cite from the blueprint for the reasons:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Reorganize the gating setup to combine the tiny jobs into a single
> voting and a single non-voting check. This will give more flexibility in
> adding new jobs and reduce load of Jenkins.
> Problem description
>
> Most of the current jobs are very small and it takes far longer to setup
> the virtual environment than running the tests. For example the niceness
> check runs in two seconds - while Jenkins needs at least 3 minutes for
> the whole job. The difference is that Jenkins needs to start a new
> virtual machine, install the git repository and all packages.
>
> With the addition of checking for links, we would have the following
> tiny jobs where each normally runs in less than 2 seconds:
>
>     niceness check
>     syntax check
>     deletions check
>     linked URL check
>
> Let’s combine these tiny jobs into voting and non-voting jobs.
>
> This gives us also the flexibility to add additional jobs easily and
> decide per repository on which of these jobs are voting and which are
> non-voting.

I'm catching up. My first thought is that it's a bit different from what
the rest of the teams are doing, and I wondered if this is a test bed for
other projects? I know when I do a patch for nova the list of pass/fail is
long. It might be nice from a usability standpoint to pre-sort the list in
voting, non-voting (and for nova, 3rd party). Is that what spurred this
blueprint? It's a bit out of the blue (ha) so just trying to get context.