[Openstack-docs] Usage of URLs in printed documents

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Aug 4 16:48:08 UTC 2014

On 08/04/2014 09:17 AM, Christian Berendt wrote:
> Andreas proposed to add a linked URL in parentheses after the title/name
> of the URL instead of directly linking the title/name.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/111593/3/doc/arch-design/introduction/section_intended_audience.xml
>
> While this makes sense for printed documents like the Architecture
> Design Guide it does not makes sense for online documents.
>
> How should we proceed? At the moment we use both forms in all of our
> documents.
>
> I would really prefer it to have the full URLs in footnotes in printed
> documents instead of having them in parentheses in the text. This way we
> have nice online documents and nice printed documents. Is it possible
> with DocBook to put linked URLs automatically in the footnotes?

I checked the IBM Style Guide and it said that for printed form to add
the URL in parentheses after the label like I did in that example.

They also have another recommendation: To leave out the http:// in the
display, so the example would read:

<citetitle>OpenStack Operations	Guide</citetitle> (<link
xlink:href="http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops">docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops</link>)

Since we're publishing for both print and Online, should we follow
everywhere the above example - or do this only for those guides that are
printed?

AFAIK we have these printed guides: Architecture Design, Security Guide,
HA Guide, Ops Guide.