[Openstack-docs] Integrating Ask OpenStack in docs

David Cramer david.cramer at rackspace.com
Thu Oct 31 16:30:28 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 11:18 AM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On 10/30/2013 08:00 PM, Lorin Hochstein wrote:
>> Are you suggesting that the Ask widget replace the existing Disqus
>> comments on the docs page as a mechanism for users to ask questions,
>> or would this be an addition?
>
> It would be a substitution: Disqus goes out, Ask widget comes in. Last
> time I checked I have got the impression that nobody really loved Disqus.
>
> Any other thougths?

I'd say Disqus's strengths are
1) Spam suppression. At Rackspace we get almost no spam through Disqus.
2) Most users have alredy signed in to Disqus somewhere along the way,
so the barrier to comment is low.
3) Easy to set up.

On the down side:
1) Markup in comments sometimes munged.
2) Not possible to migrate comments in some situations

Moving to ask.openstack.org would require users to be logged in to make
comments, but would also consolidate your community at ask.

Regards,
David