[Openstack-docs] proposed rst-xml automation openstack-manuals blueprint

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Tue Oct 29 13:43:53 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Diane Fleming" <diane.fleming at RACKSPACE.COM>

Doing some rough checks 2/3 of the content in common that isn't used more than once across the repository appears to be in the tables directory, I'm guessing most of it belongs in the config-reference?

> But why can't translators manage common files? I mean, on a book-by-book
> basis? If they translate the Install Guide, don't they translate the common
> files in that book?

The way it is set up at the moment "common" and "install-guide" are separate projects in Transifex so there is no clear link exposed to translators as they are moving through common to indicate which strings they need to finish to complete install-guide translation. Compounding the problem there seems to be one monolithic PO per project so it's not possible to do this at the file level? Other projects I have worked with use one POT file for a book but separate PO files per XML file - this results in a large number of projects defined in transifex though (I feel like this used to work better :/), for example: https://fedora.transifex.com/projects/p/fedora/language/fr/

> Does it matter if everything in that folder is not translated?

The answer should of course be no, the problem appears (to me) to be one of providing a work flow for translators that allows them to identify which content they need to translate from this folder to get complete translations of targeted books. In the long run though if the ultimate goal is translating all of openstack-manuals sharing content actually *helps* translation more than keeping slightly variant copies of the same information outside of common which would have to be translated separately (and of course has other pitfalls as well).

Steve