[Openstack-docs] proposed rst-xml automation openstack-manuals blueprint

Colin McNamara colin at 2cups.com
Thu Oct 10 16:06:29 UTC 2013

Tom (And list). What we have been finding is that the Dev Docs are a rich source for conceptual discussions of components to be installed. A specific example is the messaging service used in Nova. In the Associate guide, there is an installation task of installing and configuring RabbitMQ.  Directly before that configuration task there is a conceptual task of understanding (at a high level) the messaging architecture, and the components that enable its operation.

The RPC section of the Nova developer documentation (found here - http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/devref/rpc.html)  has a very detailed deep dive into this topic. I believe the first section "AMQP and Nova" is appropriate to integrate as the conceptual item for this installation task. In more advanced courses, subsequent sections such as "Broker Load" and "RabbitMQ Gotchas" will be appropriate to include.

I'd like to also address the subject of improving manuals content within training-manuals by copying vs including external sources. Improving the training-manuals content is an important goal. I however have been a bit of a stickler within Training-Guides on content duplication. I personally don't believe that it is sustainable to maintain two completely separate sources of documentation in a six month release cycle with major changes in structure each release while maintaining forward progress on the advanced courses. I however may be completely off base on this belief and welcome comments and external perspective.

With that being said, in a perfect wold the Developer Docs would all be in XML that could be included into openstack-manuals content natively. The world we live in has developer content written in ReStructured Text, which is extremely easy for people to update and I doubt will change (or should be changed). The next best thing for me would be for Jenkins to create docbooks XML content on build, or a similar XML content that could be easily included at a granular level into the larger  documentation base.

Regards,
Colin

Colin McNamara
People | Process | Technology