[Openstack-docs] Common content strategy?

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Jul 31 19:36:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Diane Fleming
<diane.fleming at rackspace.com>wrote:

> Steve,
>

> Good points.
>
> I have no objections to you moving shared content into the "common"
> directory.
>
> I will move my "common" files into common this afternoon. (The CLI guide
> is going away - I just wanted it to build successfully until I got the end
> and admin user guides sorted out - so I sources files for the CLI guide
> from the user guide.)
>
> Once I move my files, you can continue moving anything else that should go
> there as you see fit!
>
> Thanks,
>

> Diane
> Diane Fleming
> Software Developer II - US
>
> diane.fleming at rackspace.com
> Cell  512.323.6799
> Office 512.874.1260
> Skype drfleming0227
> Google-plus diane.fleming at gmail.com
>

> On 7/31/13 1:20 PM, "Steve Gordon" <sgordon at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >In the lead up to the Grizzly release I made a handful of commits to move
> >shared content into the common directory, where it was not already there.
> >This had the effect of:
> >
> >- Making it more obvious which content was actually shared (in one case I
> >even found a file inside the openstack-compute-admin folder that was no
> >longer used in that guide at all, but was used by others).

Great find. Would you mind another search round for files not being used
anywhere at all and patching to remove those?

> >- Making it easier for me to transform/build with Publican (an admittedly
> >selfish reason but listing for completeness :)).

Sure, good reason!

> >Looking at the state of the repository as it stands today I have noticed
> >that a few instances of the following have been creeping back in as a
> >result of the restructuring efforts:
> >
> >- Content that has become common (linked in to multiple guides) but not
> >been moved to a location beneath the "common" folder (I'm ignoring here
> >the case where the cli-guide now largely includes content from the
> >user-guide folder as I believe the cli-guide is effectively now part of
> >the user-guide effort?).

Yep, Diane's on it.

>  >- Content in the "common" folder that itself links in content from other
> >guides - effectively resulting in (1).
> >
> >I was wondering whether there are any objections to me continuing to
> >submit patches to move common content falling into these categories into
> >common (and of course update the relevant xi:includes)? There are by no
> >means a lot of these but I feel like it's probably easier to keep on top
> >of them as they come to light rather than waiting - that is if others
> >agree it's not problematic for me to be doing this. I was also wondering
> >if there might be a need to define a deeper taxonomy for content under
> >the "common" folder?

No objections at all, I love this cleanup effort.

For a deeper taxonomy, do you mean you'll put more folders in to help show
where it's reused? Or some file renaming? Let me know your thoughts there
so when I review I know what the taxonomy will be.

> >Thanks,
> >
> >Steve

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com