[Openstack-docs] Common content strategy?

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed Jul 31 18:20:40 UTC 2013

Hi all,

In the lead up to the Grizzly release I made a handful of commits to move shared content into the common directory, where it was not already there. This had the effect of:

- Making it more obvious which content was actually shared (in one case I even found a file inside the openstack-compute-admin folder that was no longer used in that guide at all, but was used by others).
- Making it easier for me to transform/build with Publican (an admittedly selfish reason but listing for completeness :)).

Looking at the state of the repository as it stands today I have noticed that a few instances of the following have been creeping back in as a result of the restructuring efforts:

- Content that has become common (linked in to multiple guides) but not been moved to a location beneath the "common" folder (I'm ignoring here the case where the cli-guide now largely includes content from the user-guide folder as I believe the cli-guide is effectively now part of the user-guide effort?).
- Content in the "common" folder that itself links in content from other guides - effectively resulting in (1).

I was wondering whether there are any objections to me continuing to submit patches to move common content falling into these categories into common (and of course update the relevant xi:includes)? There are by no means a lot of these but I feel like it's probably easier to keep on top of them as they come to light rather than waiting - that is if others agree it's not problematic for me to be doing this. I was also wondering if there might be a need to define a deeper taxonomy for content under the "common" folder?

Thanks,

Steve