[Openstack-docs] Review: Program description for OpenStack Documentation

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Jul 22 17:09:48 UTC 2013

Hi all,
We need to submit a program description for the Documentation program. From
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Programs,
---
Programs are efforts which are essential to the completion of our mission.
Programs can create any code repository and produce any deliverable they
deem necessary to achieve their goals.

The Technical Committee has a mandate to review programs that wish to be
included as official OpenStack programs.
---

To apply to become a program, we submit the following items to the
Technical Committee and they vote on it. (Note that I'm on the TC.)

-Detailed mission statement (including why their effort is essential to the
completion of the OpenStack mission)
-Expected deliverables and repositories
-How 'contribution' is measured within the program (by default, commits to
the repositories associated to the program)
-Main team members
-Proposed initial program lead (PTL)

I'd like discussion about the proposed program mission statement and scope.
I'll submit it late this week in hopes of reviewing it next Tuesday. The TC
isn't meeting this week.

Program Name: OpenStack Documentation

Program Technical Lead: Anne Gentle

Mission Statement:
Promote OpenStack adoption by providing documentation for installing,
configuring, administrating, and using OpenStack clouds. Develop, maintain,
and create tools and processes to ensure quality, accurate documentation
treated like OpenStack code and released with the code.

The OpenStack Documentation program maintains and governs these
repositories:
openstack/openstack-manuals
openstack/api-site
openstack/operations-guide

Notes:
These repositories are co-governed with project core and docs-core having
approval permissions:
openstack/compute-api
openstack/object-api
openstack/netconn-api
openstack/image-api
openstack/identity-api
openstack/volume-api

Integrated project repos:
database-api

Main team members:
OpenStack-doc-core is 20 members. See
https://launchpad.net/~openstack-doc-core/+members for the list.

Questions:
Do we "own/take responsibility for" the doc/source directory in all code
repos? With the current Mission Statement, the scope isn't for Python devs.

Refer to https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Builds for all the
listed docs and source.

I'd like to ensure I've covered the bases and I'd like more details in the
mission statement. I believe we serve users and deployers first and
foremost. Python dev docs and OpenStack contributor docs are secondary. Any
additional details you'd like to see? What questions should we anticipate
from the TC?