[Openstack-docs] Linking to external install guides

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Fri Jul 12 14:26:06 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Nick Chase" <nchase at mirantis.com>

Ultimately there is no way to document deployment that is *entirely* distribution neutral (well, other than perhaps using something like devstack - maybe that is a valid approach for bare bones release day install documentation, I don't know?) due to the need to install and configure supporting infrastructure such as the database, queuing, etc. The difference of course is the packaging of those components is far more static, predictable, and most importantly available relative to the OpenStack packaging which most likely wont exist on 0-day, though it is likely to follow shortly thereafter.

My concern with documenting installation from source is it seems like creating deployment documentation for release day and release day only. I would question whether users are likely to want to use this installation method once any form of packaging is available (and again I'm explicitly not talking about the more advanced stuff like Foreman, Fuel, PackStack, etc. - just RPMs/DEBs/etc.) - the counter argument that is being posed here of course is "well packaging isn't OpenStack anyway and at that point users should go to their distribution-specific documentation site".

Thanks,

Steve