[Openstack-docs] Admin guides and restructure

Nick Chase nchase at mirantis.com
Wed Jul 10 21:07:41 UTC 2013

Here are my feelings, along with their reasoning :

> Questions:
>

> Do we need a large, comprehensive Admin guide (now that I see the outline
I'm a little daunted)?

Yes. I know that was the goal of the Ops Guide, but I think it landed in a
different, and just as vital, spot. I think a comprehensive guide makes it
possible for someone to avoid getting lost in a sea of books, as the guide
will, well, guide them through.

> Should we create an Admin User Guide with Diane's outline [5]?

Absolutely. What she has planned is a vital look at the essentials.

> Does an Admin User Guide eliminate the need for a separate OpenStack
Administration Guide?

No. I see it as a progression. start with Diane's book, then pickup the
guide for more in depth understanding of concepts.

> Should we keep the separate Admin Guides per project? (That brings along
the problem with owners and inconsistency.)

Yes.the reality is that those owners are sometimes the best at this,
sometimes not. A guide like this lets us improve where necessary without
ditching the good stuff.

Remember we are not talking about getting rid of the great work you have
done (and are doing) . Just the opposite.

---- Nick