[Openstack-docs] Doc'ing Nova V3 API

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Jul 9 12:37:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:

> On 08/07/13 23:39, Anne Gentle wrote:
> > Thanks for the summary Tom.
> >

> > On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org
> > <mailto:tom at openstack.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Sorry all - this accidentally dropped off the list for a few replies
> >     before we realised.
> >
> >     Here's the summary:
> >     Nick asked:
> >
> >     I was suggesting that the nova code should generate the WADL when it
> >     generates the sample files.  That is, or is not, what happens now?
> >
> >     Anne replied:
> >
> >     The items that are auto-generated are the requests and responses in
> >     JSON and XML. The WADL is hand written to point to those generated
> >     files.
> >
> >     Nick asked:
> >
> >     can we have that same process also generate the WADL?  And would it
> >     solve the problem of missing pieces?
> >
> >     Anne replied:
> >
> >     We can ask if the validating step can generate docs also. That would
> >     be a good step towards completeness of the API doc.
> >
> >     On this basis, I have created a new blueprint:
> >
> >     https://blueprints.launchpad.
> __net/openstack-manuals/+spec/__autogenerate-api-reference
> >     <
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/autogenerate-api-reference
> >

> >     to track the investigation
> >

> > I don't think we need a blueprint just to investigate, do you? And the
> > blueprint would live in another project I suppose?
>
> Blueprints let the general community know what we're up to - an
> important part of our Open Design process, I believe :) It can be moved
> anywhere that is deemed appropriate, noting for example that api-site on
> launchpad doesn't have blueprints enabled right now.
>
> > I also want to note that the QA list is having a similar discussion
> > about test artifacts and docs. [1] and Sean Dague is just kind of tired
> > of the lack of coordination across 9 APIs... probably not summarizing it
> > well enough, but that's kind of how I'm feeling too, that we could try
> > to get one project in line and then 8 others would have to buy into the
> > approach. We have to serve users first and foremost, so for me, I'd
> > prefer to stay in the land of user docs and not encroach into writing
> > specs. Thoughts on toeing that line or drawing it?
>
> An API Reference is absolutely a user doc.
>
> Unless, that is, all of our recent conversation around increasing the
> prominence of the 'application developer' type of user was just lip
> service?

Sigh. Calm down. :)

The thing about the app dev guide is that the governance of them is
controlled by the core dev team. Some PTLs consider these to be Specs. Some
consider them to be app dev guides. Some just don't really update theirs,
care what they're titled, and so on.

We need to have app dev docs that are separate from those so that we better
serve app devs and SDK developers.

annegentle at justwriteclick.com