[Openstack-docs] Doc'ing Nova V3 API

David Cramer david.cramer at rackspace.com
Mon Jul 8 14:13:41 UTC 2013

> So, here's my question. If we put some more instrumentation in the nova
> code, is it possible to generate the WADL files automagically?

I'm not caught up on this thread, but I do want to chime in that a goal
of the Repose project is to validate RESTful services and it uses WADL
as its data source for what the API should do. There's a description of
what Repose does and how it works here:

http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol8/html/Williams01/BalisageVol8-Williams01.html

A big advantage of generating docs from machine readable source is that
you can be sure that the service does what the docs say it does.
Depending on how you do it, there's a risk when you generate parts of
the wadl that you lose some of that validation (i.e. the service could
change in unplanned ways from release to release and you wouldn't detect
the change because the file you are testing it against is generated by
the service, so it always reflects what the service does and perhaps
doesn't reflect what you intend for the service to do).

I'll find some time to catch up on this thread soon!

Regards,
David