[Openstack-docs] Doc'ing Nova V3 API

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Sat Jul 6 10:41:56 UTC 2013

Documentationeers,

You have probably seen the discussions on the development mailing list
regarding the nova v3 API. It brings some significant and exciting
changes that we obviously need to document and share with the world :)

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to chat with Chris Yeoh, who's been
spearheading the effort, about what it's going to take to document nova
V3 properly.

Chris, like many, is a fan of our api reference (however, noting that
incompleteness makes people sad :|), and is keen to see it succeed.

After walking through how the API reference document is produced right
now, our conclusion is that to properly write up the nova V3 API is
going to be "a lot of work".

As such, I'd like to start a discussion about our methodology for
producing the API reference document, and possible ways we can improve
it, potentially remove some of the manual steps, and integrate some of
the changes nova has made in its sample file generation.

For your reference, Anne has a blog post on how the API site is made
here:
http://justwriteclick.com/2013/04/14/how-its-made-the-openstack-api-reference-page/

Over to y'all - I will post collected thoughts in a while :)

Regards,

Tom