[Openstack-docs] ops guide japanese build fails due to split repositories

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Aug 27 22:22:02 UTC 2013

On 28/08/13 00:35, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org
> <mailto:tom at openstack.org>> wrote:
>
>     Cheers for the look-in :) I agree we should be looking at the
>     general case ... sorry for the short-sighted bug report!
>
>     Thought about the idea of putting things in openstack-infra/config
>     too, but discarded it. Essentially, I think we can do this without
>     putting additional review load on openstack-infra. Having a
>     bare-bones configuration in openstack-infra/config that points to
>     scripts in docs-controlled repositories would enable us to be much
>     more responsive to updates, and means we don't need to bother infra :)
>
>     The last few patches I put through to config are took 1-3 weeks to
>     get through. Importantly, this is completely fine - our patches are
>     definitely low priority compared to others, and being typically less
>     skilled at the ways of jenkins-job-builder we do want the time spent
>     on thorough review from the overworked infracores.
>

> I ask for eyeballs in #openstack-infra if I have a review delay. They
> also have a separate Jenkins job review team so for these types of job
> additions I think your experience is atypical.
>
> I've put this patch in: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/43734/ as a
> fix. Basically the zuul layout file is running in openstack-manuals and
> should run for operations-guide. What I'm unsure of, though, is whether
> the same pom.xml is used for non-english output. David or Daisy can you
> review?

mm. I hadn't realised we're already in this state:

>             2) Copy the tools into the openstack-ops repo and perform
>             the painful
>             ongoing task of keep them synchronised

If that's the decision, then it's an easy-to-fix patch in config.
However, I think this state is sub-optimal. I note that the tools
directory in operations-guide is already way out of sync with the one in
operations-manual, bolstering the claim somewhat :)

I also still feel that moving tools into openstack-infra/config is not
the solution - and it appears my point above has been missed ... it's
not entirely about the timing! It's also about adding to the workload of
a busy team, and whose 'job' it is to review what.

My advice would be to take a look at what nova, neutron et al do with
their 'tools' directories.

Regards,

Tom