[Openstack-docs] <table> conventions and PDF results

David Cramer david.cramer at rackspace.com
Fri Aug 16 13:00:41 UTC 2013

Hi Summer,
I'm adding the list back since this answer will be of interest to everyone.

So the problem is that if you're use CALS tables, you have to set column
widths either proportionally (or with absolute values, i.e. 100pts).
Notice the colwidth values in this example using proportional widths:

        <title>nova.conf API and Credential Settings</title>
        <tgroup cols='2' align='left' colsep='1' rowsep='1'>
          <colspec colname="c1" colwidth="1*"/>
          <colspec colname="c2" colwidth="2.45*"/>

Tables are an area where oXygen really helps. You can drag the column
borders and it will set the colwidths for the table appropriately for
the type of table you're using.

Another trick (applies to both CALS and HTML tables) that will help you
get good results in the pdf with this particular table is to use <?sbr?>
PIs to indicate where long strings should break inside of table cells.
This is like a soft-hyphen but without the hyphen. I noticed in this
table that neutron_admin_tenant_name was too long to fit in the table
cell and wouldn't normally break since it's a code-like string. I fixed
this by adding the <?sbr?> PI at points where a break would be good if
one is necessary. When the clouddocs-maven-plugin encounters one of
these it inserts a zero-width space. So if the string fits in the table
cell, then there's no noticeable difference. If the string doesn't fit,
then it will wrap at one of these zero-width spaces:

<row>
<entry>
<entry><para>Update to the name of the service tenant created
in the above section on OpenStack Identity configuration.
</para></entry>
</row>

Regards,
David