[Openstack-docs] Improve Monitoring section in the Ops Guide

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Aug 12 15:03:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Emilien Macchi <
emilien.macchi at enovance.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I would like to contribute at the monitoring section of the Operations
> Guide, in talking about a project I've worked on during the last days.
>
> I wrote a blog post about that :
> http://my1.fr/blog/yet-another-way-to-monitor-openstack/
>
> What I would like to write, is a new section under
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ops/content/logging_monitoring.html#monitoring
> in explaining that it exists some scripts that could be used by many
> monitoring tools (Nagios, etc), the way to use them and what they do.

I'm torn. I want more additions to the Operations Guide and it's true that
logging and monitoring are not covered in depth. But just adding "yet
another script" that may not work in the future feels like taking on
technical debt we can't afford. Is that the case, that you'd add a script
that works for you but might not work for other? Is it release-specific?

Anyone else have thoughts on the addition of more monitoring info? I sense
that admins have their own opinions and while you could give yours I don't
know if it would be accepted at first?

Thanks for asking - want to hear others opinions as well of course!
Anne

> If you have any though or idea about that, please let me know.
>

> Enjoy the week-end,
>
> --
> Emilien Macchi
> # OpenStack Engineer