[Openstack-docs] OpenStack HA Guide - Moving forward to Active / Active Setup

Emilien Macchi emilien.macchi at enovance.com
Fri Apr 26 21:50:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

Today the OpenStack HA guide written by Florian Haas and my self needs
to be updated from active / passive to active / active mode.
Since some services have been updated in Grizzly, I would like to submit
a new documentation explaining how to configure this setup :

- API nodes (all OpenStack APIs) -> load balanced by HAproxy (I'll share
my running configuration)
- Scheduler nodes (*-scheduler + nova-conductor) -> Multiple running :
horizontal scale
- Compute nodes (nova-compute + Quantum L3 Agent + Quantum DHCP Agent +
Quantum L2 Agent + Quantum Metadata Agent) : no HA, but scaling of
Quantum L3 & DHCP agents
- Storage node (cinder-volume) -> can't be run in full HA as far I know.
- RabbitMQ cluster
- MySQL Cluster (Galera)

Then, I'll like to know what is the best choice :
- Split the guide in two parts : Active / Active & Active / Passive ?
- Drop Active / Passive part and updating it for Active / Active setup ?

Before submitting my patches, let me know your thoughts.

Note : Please don't hesitate to share your feedback if you also run
OpenStack in production with HA.

Cheers,

--
Emilien Macchi