[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? April 25 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Apr 25 19:27:56 UTC 2013

 All righty, we are in the home stretch for the docs release. I plan to
release 4/30/13 so get those patches reviewed and patches in. Thanks for
the great work this past week.

1. In review and merged this past week:

Great progress on the Basic Install Guide thanks to Joe Topjian, Ed Kern,
Phil Hopkins, Brian Cline, and Steve Gordon. The merging will be an
adventure let's say! But we are making great progress. We now have an
Ubuntu version and a Fedora version in draft form, and would love more
testing.

We've had 20 merges since the start of the Summit so I know we're all
working towards the release. Reviews welcomed on these updates:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26954/ (Ubuntu Basic Install) Especially
if you know how to get metadata working, please comment.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/27424/ (floating/fixed IP clarifications)

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/27283/ (updates to the Networking Admin
guide)

2. High priority doc work:

We release 4/30 so getting prepared for that has been my focus this week.
Here are the steps: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Release.
I've created a preliminary sitemap.xml and updated the
openstack-infra/config repo to create two builds of the Basic Install
Guide. I've also got an RC patch ready to go at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/27500/.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

Mostly install docs, although Diane Fleming is also getting the API site in
great shape for the release and working on navigation for the api-ref.html
page so that there's a way to click on each header instead of having the
long scrolling page. Diane also created a Compute Extensions Guide that
gathers all the Extensions into one deliverable.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/27397/

4. New incoming doc requests:

I really believe we need a User Guide based on the types of questions
coming in so I've asked Diane to take a look at that after the API site
work is settled down. There have been great questions on the mailing list,
with a good answer about keypairs:
http://www.mail-archive.com/openstack@lists.launchpad.net/msg22548.html.

5. Doc tools updates:

I love hearing that RedHat is testing their tools with our source. A year
or so ago I learned about Publican at the Open Help Conference and wondered
if we should just re-tool. Would love to hear discussions around that -- we
need the maven plugin for the api.openstack.org/api-ref.html site, but
there are certainly cases where it would be cool to completely share
content and tooling.

6. Other doc news:

I love the copyediting we're getting on the Operations Guide from readers
who log doc bugs. Keep it up, it's so great to get more eyes on that tome.
Thanks.

I had a lot of conversations with OpenStack Board members who want to
support the doc efforts with writers at member companies. Where there are
coders, there should be upstream writers. So I'm looking for ways to hire
upstream writers at companies that are board-level supporters of OpenStack.
Please send your ideas for how to get requisitions, contracts, anything you
can think of to make up a distributed, compensated writer workforce working
on OpenStack docs.