[Openstack-docs] Compute | Networking | Storage refactoring

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Aug 6 23:27:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:02 AM, Razique Mahroua
<razique.mahroua at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
> the confusing thing about "Storage" is that there are two (maybe more to
> come) projects - swift and Glance. Storage is rather an abstract term when
> it comes to those services since both can operate the same way datas, but
> both serve originally different purposes.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of Glance as a "storage" option but it does
store and retrieve images so I guess it could be thought of that way. I see
it more as Storage: block or object. Then you have decisions to make about
what you store your images in - block or object storage or just on disk on
your cloud controller I guess?

> Though, since both could be deployed autonomously, it could be more a
> "data management " category ?
> or "Data storing" ? glance being originally designated as the "imaging
> service "
> Same goes for Cinder actually

Right, and the Ceph project confuses me too so that'll be a tough one to
sort out. :) I started bringing in that long blog entry and just wasn't
sure whether to bring it all in or not.

> As for keystone, I think it could have its own topic, being the only one
> all the OPS services aim to/ should use from now on.

Now that's interesting - I don't think it should be its own top-level
topic, but shared modules/chapters throughout. Anyone else have opinions on
the Identity portion?

> BTW : any news about Atlas ?
> that ring a (weak) bell, but not so sure

Atlas was a load balancing project, and I think the new load balancing
project is going to use the Atlas API spec.