Designate and neutron - only creating records for floating ips and not servers or ports

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Tue May 23 19:56:42 UTC 2023

Hi Russell,

This sounds like you are trying to set up "case 3" as described in the
neutron documentation[1]. I would start by walking through this
document to make sure the right extensions are enabled in neutron.
Also note the requirements the extensions have listed in this section:
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/2023.1/admin/config-dns-int-ext-serv.html#configuration-of-the-externally-accessible-network-for-use-cases-3b-and-3c

I'm pretty sure this is a configuration issue on the neutron extension
side, but just to be sure, you can watch the Designate API log when
you create a port. If there is no request from neutron, it's getting
blocked prior to sending the request to Designate.

Michael

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/2023.1/admin/config-dns-int-ext-serv.html#use-case-3-ports-are-published-directly-in-the-external-dns-service