[cinder][dev] Add support in driver - Active/Active High Availability

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Mon May 22 16:23:07 UTC 2023

On 15/05, Souza, Nahim wrote:
> Hi, Raghavendra,
>
> Just sharing my experience, I started working on A/A support for NetApp NFS driver, and I followed the same steps you summarized.
> Besides that, I think the effort is to understand/test if any of the driver features might break in the A/A environment.
>
> If anyone knows about anything else we should test, I would be happy to know too.
>
> Regards,
> Nahim Souza.

Hi,

I see that there is no mention of deploying and configuring the DLM,
which is necessary for the critical sections between different hosts.

For reference, most drivers require code changes. A very common location
were drivers need code changes is when creating the host entities in the
storage array. I see that the 3PAR driver has already changed that lock
to use the DLM locks [1].

If a driver doesn't support replication then there is no need to split
the failover_host method.

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/7bca35c935cf8566bcf9e4874be78174cb0b6df5/cinder/volume/drivers/hpe/hpe_3par_fc.py#L169