Discuss Fix for Bug #2003179

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Mon May 22 16:16:19 UTC 2023

On 16/05, Sean Mooney wrote:
> i would proably fix thei the way we did in nova
>
> we instaled a log filter that prevents the preives deams logs at debug level form being logged.
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/config.py#L78-L80
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/86a8aac0d76fa149b5e43c73b31227fbcf427278
>
> cinder should also insatll a log filter to only log privsep log at info by default

Hi,

Thanks Sean for the suggestion, unfortunately we won't be going that
route in os-brick for the time being, because those changes in Nova were
the reasons why I had to add a feature to privsep [1] and os-brick [2].

Without nova logging privsep calls we were literally blind to know what
was happening on attach and detach operations in the os-brick code, even
with DEBUG log levels enabled in Nova using the `debug=true` config
option.

The workaround was to modify the log levels in the nova config
explicitly, which no customer had to do before, so I had to write a KCS
article explaining it [3].

For the record, this issue of the displayed password is also going to
happen in later Nova releases now that we have separated os-brick and
nova privsep logging levels.

I think Eric has a very good suggestion [4] that should be easy to
implement.

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/oslo.privsep/+/784098