[OSA][NEUTRON] Doubts about network setup

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Sat May 20 06:06:23 UTC 2023

Hi!

So, what are your doubts? This kind of setup is totally possible to do. At
very least while using ml2.ovs/lxb as a network driver.

Assuming, that your interface, that you're going to use for VLANs is named
bond0, provider_networks can look like that then:

provider_networks:
    - network:
       container_bridge: "br-vlan"
       container_type: "veth"
       network_interface: "bond0"
       net_name: "vlan-net"
       type: "vlan"
       range: "200:1200"
       group_binds:
         - neutron_openvswitch_agent

With that config you don't need to create a br-vlan bridge anywhere, just
having bond0 interface consistently across all compute and network nodes is
enough.

After that in neutron you can create a network like that:
openstack network create --provider-network-type vlan
--provider-physical-network
vlan-net --provider-segment 200 vlan-200

You can check more docs on OVS setup here:
https://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ansible-os_neutron/latest/app-openvswitch.html#openstack-ansible-user-variables
https://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ansible/latest/user/network-arch/example.html

But keep in mind that vxlans are used more commonly and are a recommended
way to connect VMs between compute nodes and with neutron l3 routers for
floating IPs functionality.

I'm not very familiar with ml2.ovn though to answer how to setup VLANs to
pass directly to computes there, as it might be slightly different in terms
of group binding at least. But according to doc
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/install/ovn/manual_install.html
it should be pretty much same otherwise.

Hope this helps.