[neutron] floating ip port forwarding and dvr

韩光宇 hanguangyu2 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 13:47:06 UTC 2023

Hello,

I know that "For instances with a floating IPv4 address, routing
between self-service and provider networks resides completely on the
compute nodes"[1] when enable neutron dvr. This can eliminate
performance issues with network nodes.

But it need fix floating ip to vm. I want to ask when employing
floating IP port forwarding, is it feasible to enable direct access to
the compute nodes for traffic?

I may encounter a scenario where tens of thousands of ports are
forwarded from a floating IP to different ports on different VMs. This
would result in a significant concentration of traffic at the network
node. I would like to inquire if there are any methods available to
alleviate the pressure on the network node or to directly distribute
the traffic across the compute nodes.

Appreciate for any assistance or suggestions.

Best regards,
Han Guangyu

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/train/admin/deploy-ovs-ha-dvr.html#deploy-ovs-ha-dvr