Transition to kolla

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at pawsey.org.au
Wed May 17 15:50:47 UTC 2023

Hi,

On 17/5/23 17:01, Ryszard Mielcarek wrote:
> is there anyone who already did transition on existing cluster,
> from package-version to kolla-ansible managed installation?
> Looking for guides, tips, your experience on that.

We have just completed doing exactly that, from Puppet OpenStack (train)
with each service in its own VM, to a straightforward Kolla Ansible
(train-eol) config on 3 control plane nodes and same compute nodes with
staged migration of the instances. This page gave us great inspiration
and structure to the approach:

https://www.stackhpc.com/migrating-to-kolla.html

Our only outage was to migrate databases, haproxy, keepalived and
rabbitmq. It may have been possible to avoid that outage, but we decided
to simplify those steps a little.

Compute nodes ended up having trouble with mismatching vcpu features and
security drivers, so we scheduled and cold migrated the instances across
to kolla compute nodes.

I am very pleased with the experience so far, and grateful to the Kolla
Ansible community past and present. Next up, upgrades!

Greg.