Transition to kolla

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Wed May 17 12:47:52 UTC 2023

Hey,

We did such migration from RDO to the OSA deployment and it was quite
resilient for the end users.
But we've played with LB quite a lot, and had new hardware for net nodes
and control plane, but other then that - it's completely possible to
achieve.

I think as a first step we've spawned new rabbit and mariadb cluster,
though it was easier for us as we ran galera before, so we were able to
just scale up galera cluster and point LB to the new IP. And then it was
just about setup of new services with osa and pointing haproxy to the new
set of the backends. As long as you're deploying the same major version it
should be fine to do so.

When it comes to net nodes, we migrated l3 and DHCP agents to the freshly
provisioned nodes with quite simple script, that list all agents for agent
A, removes agent it from A and adds to B afterwards.

For compute nodes, I think we didn't do even live migrates - just stopped
old service and provisioned new in place. As hostname remains the same, it
was just picked up and placement wasn't complaining. But yeah, live
migration should just work as long as you have same os version.

I think this all should work nicely for kolla as well.