[TripleO] Removal of TripleO Zed Integration and Component Lines

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Wed May 17 06:33:52 UTC 2023

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 12:47 AM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2023-05-16 16:31:50 -0400 (-0400), James Slagle wrote:
> [...]
> > I feel the wording  "on purpose to prevent..." is a
> > mis-characterization of the intent.
> [...]
>
> On further discussion in #openstack-tc, it appears some of the
> concern was due to the phrase "there should be no more patches
> submitted for stable/zed TripleO repos" and the "should" there was
> interpreted as implying that the prior contributors were doing this
> in order to disallow participation by future contributors who might
> want to do so. It seems like this was not actually the intent you
> were trying to convey, and was an unfortunate misreading. If you had
> said that further patches for that branch are not expected, or that
> you personally wouldn't be submitting patches for that branch, I
> doubt the reaction would have been so strong.

This has been well explained by James and Ronelle, but having worked
with Ronelle on that announcement and since the sentence in question
was added on my suggestion ("there should be no more patches
submitted..." ) I feel a responsibility to clarify the intent behind
it.

The intent is to signal that after this point there will be degraded
CI for all TripleO repos' stable/zed branch because it will no longer
be maintained by the team that has been doing so until now. The gate
will break and your patches will be blocked from merging unless you
skip jobs or start fixing them (we have not removed the job
definitions or zuul layouts but they are going to fall into
disrepair). For this reason, "there should be no more patches
submitted for stable/zed TripleO repos".

thanks all for helping to clarify and my apologies for the concerns
this raised - in retrospect the wording could been expanded a little
to make it clearer,

regards, marios